Tuition + Fees
As Shanghai's only non-owned, not-for-profit school, all revenue SAS receives goes into making the school even better.
Prepayment of tuition fees in full in advance of the period when they are due will result in a discount of 1% of the pre-paid amount. All tuition fees are for the 2019-20 academic year.
|Pre-Kindergarten||Pre-K3 to Pre-K4||210,000||-||210,000|
|Elementary School||Kindergarten to Grade 5||226,000||33,000||259,000|
|Middle School||Grade 6 to 8||232,000||33,000||265,000|
|High School||Grade 9 to 12||244,000||33,000||277,000|
- One-time Entry Fees
- Enrollment Deposit
- Annual Tuition Fees and Discounts
- Other Fees
- Method of Payment
Application Fee: RMB 2,800
The application fee is only valid for the school year for which the application is submitted. This fee is payable when the student’s application is submitted and is required prior to evaluation by Admission Committee. The fee is non-refundable, and stands until replaced with the subsequent Schedule of Fees, and is therefore subject to change.
Matriculation Fee: RMB 28,000 (Pre-Kindergarten and Elementary School) / RMB 33,000 (Middle and High School)
The matriculation fee is a one-time mandatory fee that is used to support investments in school facilities and related costs, including new construction or renovation projects and associated loan payments, major repairs and major maintenance costs for school facilities. This fee applies to new entrants only, and is due in full within 5 working days of an offer of acceptance. This fee stands until replaced with the subsequent Schedule of Fees, and is therefore subject to change. Withdrawal of an active student and subsequent re-admission requires payment of the matriculation fee again upon each re-admission event, unless less than two continuous years of non-enrollment has taken place since the prior admission.
Enrollment Deposit: RMB 32,000
In order to secure a space for the upcoming school year, a non-refundable enrollment deposit will be applied to all returning students, due by April 1 of the year prior to the upcoming school year. For newly entering students, this deposit is due within 5 working days of an offer of acceptance being made. The deposit amount stands until replaced with the subsequent schedule of fees, and is therefore subject to change. This deposit will be credited towards tuition fees due, settled at the last installment payment (if paying by installment).
Tuition fees are used to support both the general operations of the school (General Fund) as well as the on-going re-investment in school facilities (Facilities Fund).
Tuition Fees are payable in two equal installments, due on June 1 and November 1. The non-refundable enrollment deposit will be netted from the November 1 installment (or netted from the June 1 payment, if full payment is made at that time).
Prepayment of tuition fees in full in advance of the period when they are due will result in a discount of 1% of the pre-paid amount (i.e. prepay of 1st and 2nd tuition installments by April 1 will grant a 1% discount on total tuition fees due less deposit, prepay of 2nd tuition installment before June 1 will grant a 1% discount on second tuition installment less deposit).
The School provides optional un-subsidized bus service to and from school. The Transportation Fee applies to those students who register for the regular bus service. The fee is payable on a semester basis, due June 1 and November 1. Note: SAS is not obligated to provide service if the housing location is not within existing serviced routes.
School-Sponsored Travel Programs:
For school-sponsored activities such as APAC events and community service, or for SAS Signature Programs such as China Alive and Microcampus, community service, etc., SAS may subsidize up to 25% of the transportation fares. Pricing and payment deadlines will be published in advance of each trip.
Bring your own Mac (BYOM) Program:
While not a fee paid to the school, all students in grades 6 to 12 are required to bring their own MacBook computer and external USB hard disk drive for the purpose of backups. Click here for more information on the hardware and software requirements.
SAS provides a hot meal program on both campuses, which varies in price based on the food items individually purchased. Prices lists are published with the menus.
Physical Education Uniforms:
Uniforms may be required for all students in Grades 6 to 12 who take Physical Education (PE) class. PE uniforms are available for purchase at the Eagle Shop. The set includes a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.
Payment must be made by one of the following methods, annotated with the student name and ID Number:
- By RMB or USD wire transfer to the school’s bank account;
- By RMB check, payable to 上海美国外籍人员子女学校 (Shanghai American School)
- By RMB or USD debit or credit card payment, direct to the school’s bank account
- By RMB cash deposit direct to the school’s bank account
Any payment of less than RMB 5,000 or equivalent may also be paid in RMB cash at the Finance Office. The school bank account to be used for wire transfers or cash deposits shall be as noted on the billing invoice. All bank charges (wire transfer charges, credit card processing fees, etc.) are the responsibility of the payer.
All fees and charges are set and payable in RMB, but may also be paid in USD (wire transfer only) at the exchange rate in force at the time of payment, as set by the Finance Department on a monthly basis, referenced to the People’s Bank of China published exchange rate and average Chinese commercial bank rates.
Refunds for payments will be made only as follows:
- If a written notification of withdrawal is received before August 1, 100% of the tuition fees paid to date will be refunded, less the non-refundable enrollment deposit.
- If a written notification of withdrawal is received after August 1, but before the first day of the 1st Semester, 100% of the tuition fees paid to date will be refunded, less 10% of the annual tuition fees, and less the non-refundable enrollment deposit.
- If a written notification of withdrawal is received before December 1, 100% of the tuition fees paid to date will be refunded, less fees paid for 1st semester, and less the non-refundable enrollment deposit.
- If a written notification of withdrawal is received after December 1, but before the first day of the 2nd semester, 100% of the tuition fees paid to date will be refunded, less fees paid for 1st semester, less 10% of the annual tuition fees, and less the non-refundable enrollment deposit.
For further clarity, if a student is not officially withdrawn in writing prior to the first day of a semester, there will be no refund of that semester’s tuition fees.
- Matriculation fees are refunded in full only if the student does not attend school and written notification of withdrawal is received before the first day the student is scheduled to attend school. Attendance by the student, or failure to provide written notification of withdrawal, will forfeit any refund of this fee.
- The transportation fee paid for a semester will be refunded on a pro-rated basis for each school day of a semester that the student is not registered at SAS, less a RMB 340 handling charge. The amount per school day will be 1/90th of the fee for the semester.
- Outstanding obligations of the student will be deducted from any refund(s). This includes athletic fees and charges for unreturned or damaged textbooks, library books, locker keys, etc.
Click here to see full details and download the school information and policies for tuition, fees, payments and refunds. SAS reserves the right to change fees without prior notice.