Date: January 20-21, 2018
Time 8:30 am-4:00 pm
Cost: $100 USD
Location: Shanghai American School Puxi Campus, 258 Jinfeng Road, Huacao Town, Minhang District, Shanghai, China, 201107
How can you design learning experiences that make it much more likely that students will understand content and be able to apply it in meaningful ways? Since 1998, thousands of educators globally, have used the Understanding by Design (UbD) Framework® to answer that question and create more rigorous and engaging curricula. Workshop participants will apply a set of practical and proven UbD 2.0 tools and templates to create or refine a unit of study.
More specifically you will learn to:
- Apply the 3-stage "backward design" model for the development of curriculum, assessment, and instruction.
- Use essentials questions to frame curriculum and focus on "big ideas".
- Apply processes for "unpacking" standards to establish curriculum priorities and determine content worthy of deep understanding.
- Explore six "facets" of understanding and their implications for curriculum, assessment, and teaching.
- Apply selected design tools to create authentic performance tasks based on the six "facets".
- Access a large collection of UbD-supportive web based resources.