2018 Board Election and Appointment Activities
Dear SAS Parents,
SHANGHAI AMERICAN SCHOOL SEEKS COMMITTED LEADERS TO SERVE ON THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
SAS is led by a professional Head of School and executive team, and is governed by an eleven-member Board of Trustees. Six trustees are elected by SAS parents, four are appointed by the Board, and one is appointed by the U.S. Consul General in Shanghai.
The Board of Trustees is charged with setting the strategic direction of the school, hiring and supporting the Head of School, and approving the school’s budget and governing the school through policies in partnership with the Administration. Board members should be generally representatives of the SAS parent community and reflect the diversity of SAS as an international community. A balanced Board is able to bring a variety of experiences and perspectives to bear in fulfilling the mission and governing SAS for the future.
Serving on the Board at Shanghai American School (“SAS”) is a serious commitment and an excellent way to exhibit leadership through service to the community.
All trustees are volunteers and do not receive remuneration.
The Shanghai American School Association (“Association”) will hold an election to fill four seats on the SAS Board of Trustees. These seats are currently held by Lyndon Chao, Stephen Dyer, Collins Jun Qian and Alan Yeung. The elected board members will serve a two-year term, starting June 2018, with an optional two-year extension. The election will be held in accordance with Article VIII (4) of the Articles of Association, and Policies 2.11 and 2.12.
The election period will commence in mid-April and conclude on May 7, 2018 at the Annual General Meeting (“AGM”) of the Association, where the names of the elected board members will be announced to the community.
Parties interested in seeking election must be current Association members who will have a student enrolled at SAS for the next two years. Election candidates must be nominated by two other current Association members. Candidates for election may also be considered for appointment if they are not elected.
The Board of Trustees will also appoint one trustee at the end of May. This appointed seat is currently held by York-Chi Harder. The appointed board member will serve a two-year term starting June 2018 with an option to extend for two years upon approval of the Board. The appointment will be made in accordance with Policy 2.203.
Candidates interested in seeking appointment need not be Parent Association members, and may nominate themselves.
PROFILE OF EXPECTATIONS FOR SAS BOARD MEMBERS
Shanghai American School Board Members are expected to:
- Champion and communicate the school’s mission, vision, and core values;
- Acknowledge their fiduciary duty to act with care, good faith and loyalty for the entire school, and discharge their duties accordingly;
- Actively participate at scheduled board meetings, retreats, and applicable committee meetings;
- Engage in strategic board governance;
- Contribute their time, talent, and resources to support fundraising efforts;
- Demonstrate decorum, discretion, and wisdom in the discharge of their duties;
- Follow the Board Protocols as adopted annually;
- Possess critical thinking and problem solving skills to strategically address the complex opportunities and challenges that may arise;
- Seek consensus and work collaboratively to reach decisions or generate ideas;
- Serve as an ambassador for the school, to promote its mission and values, and to exert influence within the community for the benefit of the school.
Helpful additional attributes
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: development and fundraising; alumni networking; strategic planning; budgeting and finance; government, corporate, and other external relations; law; marketing; non-profit governance; and education.
- Demonstrated leadership in school activities and volunteerism (e.g. service as a board committee member or PTSA involvement).
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Prior board service experience, including for business, non-profit or educational organizations.
- Annual board retreats and governance training (1-2 times per year).
- 15-20 hours per month including board meeting preparation, board meeting attendance, committee meetings and related follow-up work.
Conflicts of Interests
- Board members shall have no substantial financial, business or other interests that conflict with the interests of the School. (Refer to Policy 2.1021 Conflict of Interest)
PROFILES OF CURRENT SAS BOARD MEMBERS
BOARD INFORMATION SESSION FOR INTERESTED CANDIDATES
- Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - Puxi Campus from 10:15-11:15 am New Library Upper Cafeteria Room 209
- Tuesday, March 6, 2018 – Pudong Campus from 10:15-11:15 am Middle School Conference Room 105
Candidates for election and/or appointment must complete the 2018 School Board Candidate Filing Packet. You may request a hard copy by contacting Tang Chetkul, Assistant to the Board, at email@example.com.
The filing deadline to run for election and/or be considered for appointment is Friday, March 16, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Persons seeking more information about the election/ appointment process or the role of Trustees at SAS are encouraged to send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or to approach a current member of the Board.
Chair, SAS Board of Trustees
Nominations and Outreach Committee Chair, SAS Board of Trustees