Tuition and Fees
As a not-for-profit, all tuition and fees at Shanghai American School go back to student learning and making the school even better, including many facilities at university level.
Prepayment of tuition fees in full in advance of the period when they are due will result in a discount of 1% of the pre-paid amount.
|Pre-Kindergarten||Pre-K3 to Pre-K4||157,000||-||157,000|
|Elementary School||Kindergarten to Grade 5||192,000||30,000||222,000|
|Middle School||Grade 6 to 8||197,000||30,000||227,000|
|High School||Grade 9 to 12||207,000||30,000||237,000|
- Application Fee: RMB ¥2,500
The application fee is only valid for the school year for which the application is submitted.
- Matriculation Fee: RMB ¥28,000 (Pre-Kindergarten and Elementary School) / RMB ¥33,000 (Middle and High School)
The matriculation fee is a one-time mandatory fee that is used to support investments in school facilities and related costs, including new construction or renovation projects and associated loan payments, major repairs and major maintenance costs for school facilities. This fee applies to new entrants only, and is due in full within 5 working days of an offer of acceptance. This fee stands until replaced with the subsequent Schedule of Fees, and is therefore subject to change. Withdrawal of an active student and subsequent re-admission requires payment of the matriculation fee again upon each re-admission event, unless less than two continuous years of non-enrollment has taken place since the prior admission.
- Enrollment Deposit: RMB ¥30,500
In order to secure a space for the upcoming school year, a non-refundable Enrollment Deposit will be applied to all returning students, due by April 1 of the year prior to the upcoming school year. For newly entering students, this deposit is due within 5 working days of an offer of acceptance being made. The deposit amount stands until replaced with the subsequent Schedule of Fees, and is therefore subject to change. This deposit will be credited towards Tuition Fees due, settled at the last installment payment (if paying by installment).
- English as an Additional Language (EAL) Fee: RMB ¥10,000
A one-time, non-refundable fee will be charged to students who, upon assessment, are enrolled in the EAL program. The fee is designated to support a portion of the cost of this program.
- Transportation Fee: RMB ¥7,650 (per semester)
The School provides optional un-subsidized bus service that comes along with an advanced Transportation Management System (TMS) to and from school.
- Bring your own Mac (BYOM) Program
While not a fee paid to the school, all students in grades 6 to 12 are required to bring their own MacBook computer and external USB hard disk drive for the purpose of backups. Click here for more information on the hardware and software requirements.
- Lunch Program:
The school provides a hot meal program on both campuses, which varies in amount between RMB ¥ 20-35 per meal based on the food items individually purchased.
- Physical Education Uniforms:
Uniforms are required for all students in Grades 6 to 12 who take Physical Education (PE) class. PE uniforms are available for purchase at the School's Eagle Shop at prices set by PTSA (Parent, Teacher, and Student Association). The set includes a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.
Payment must be made by one of the following methods, annotated with the student name and ID Number:
- By RMB or USD wire transfer to the school’s bank account;
- By RMB check, payable to 上海美国学校 (Shanghai American School)
- By RMB or USD debit or credit card payment, direct to the school’s bank account
- By RMB cash deposit direct to the school’s bank account
Any payment of less than 5,000 RMB or equivalent may also be paid in RMB cash at the Finance Office. The school bank account to be used for wire transfers or cash deposits shall be as noted on the billing invoice. All bank charges (wire transfer charges, credit card processing fees, etc) are the responsibility of the payer.
All Fees and Charges are set and payable in RMB, but may also be paid in USD (wire transfer or check) at the exchange rate in force at the time of payment, as set by the Finance Department on a monthly basis, referenced to the People’s Bank of China published exchange rate and average Chinese commercial bank rates.
Refunds for payments will be made only as follows:
a) TUITION FEES:
• If a written notification of withdrawal is received before August 1, 100% of the tuition fees paid to date will be refunded, less the non-refundable Enrollment Deposit.
• If a written notification of withdrawal is received after August 1, but before the first day of the 1st Semester, 100% of the tuition fees paid to date will be refunded, less 10% of the annual tuition fees, and less the non-refundable Enrollment Deposit.
• If a written notification of withdrawal is received before December 1, 100% of the tuition fees paid to date will be refunded, less fees paid for 1st Semester, and less the non-refundable Enrollment Deposit.
• If a written notification of withdrawal is received after December 1, but before the first day of the 2nd Semester, 100% of the tuition fees paid to date will be refunded, less fees paid for 1st Semester, less 10% of the annual tuition fees, and less the non-refundable Enrollment Deposit.
For further clarity, if a student is not officially withdrawn in writing prior to the first day of a semester, there will be no refund of that semester’s tuition fees.
b) MATRICULATION FEE:
Matriculation fees are refunded in full only if the student does not attend school and written notification of withdrawal is received before the first day the student is scheduled to attend school. Attendance by the student, or failure to provide written notification of withdrawal, will forfeit any refund of this fee.
c) TRANSPORTATION FEES:
Transportation fees paid for a semester will be refunded on a pro-rated basis for each school day of a semester that the student is not registered at SAS, less a RMB 340 handling charge. The amount per school day will be 1/90th of the fee for the semester.
d) UNPAID OBLIGATIONS:
Any outstanding obligations of the student will be deducted from any refund(s). This includes athletic fees and charges for unreturned or damaged textbooks, library books, locker keys, etc.
Click here to see full details and download the school information and policies for tuition, fees, payments and refunds. SAS reserves the right to change fees without prior notice.