Join The Board That’s Never Bored
Join the Board of Trustees, a vibrant, active part of Shanghai American School. The Board hires, supports, and nurtures our Head of School, Marcel Gauthier, oversees policy and has a fiduciary responsibility to provide sound financial management of the school.We have three positions open up this year – two elected and one appointed board positions.
SHANGHAI AMERICAN SCHOOL SEEKS COMMITTED LEADERS TO SERVE ON THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
SAS is led by a professional Head of School and executive team and is governed by an eleven-member Board of Trustees. Six trustees are elected by SAS parents, four are appointed by the Board, and one is appointed by the U.S. Consul General in Shanghai.
The Board of Trustees is charged with setting the strategic direction of the school, hiring and supporting the Head of School, approving the school’s budget and governing the school through policies in partnership with the Administration. Board members should be generally representative of the SAS parent community and reflect the diversity of SAS as an international community. A balanced Board is able to bring a variety of experiences and perspectives to bear in fulfilling the mission and governing SAS for the future.
Serving on the Board at Shanghai American School (“SAS”) is a serious commitment and an excellent way to exhibit leadership through service to the community.
The Board seeks candidates to fill two elected and one appointed board positions. Elected board members serve a two-year term with an optional two-year extension. Appointed board members serve a two-year term, with an optional two-year extension upon a vote of the Board.
All trustees are volunteers and do not receive remuneration.
PROFILE OF EXPECTATIONS FOR SAS BOARD CANDIDATES
Shanghai American School Board Members are expected to:
- Acknowledge their fiduciary duty to act with care, good faith and loyalty for the entire school, and discharge their duties accordingly;
- Actively participate at scheduled board meetings, retreats, and applicable committee meetings;
- Engage in strategic board governance;
- Champion and communicate the school’s mission, vision, and core values;
- Contribute their time, talent, and resources to support fundraising efforts;
- Demonstrate decorum, discretion, and wisdom in the discharge of their duties;
- Follow the Board Protocols as adopted annually;
- Possess critical thinking and problem solving skills to strategically address the complex opportunities and challenges that may arise; and
- Seek consensus and work collaboratively to reach decisions or generate ideas.
- Serve as an ambassador for the school, to promote its mission and values, and to exert influence within the community for the benefit of the school.
Helpful additional attributes:
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: development and fundraising; alumni networking; strategic planning; budgeting and finance; government, corporate, and other external relations; law; marketing; non-profit governance; and education.
- Demonstrated leadership in school activities and volunteerism (e.g. service as a board committee member or PTSA involvement).
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Prior board service experience, including for business, non-profit or educational organizations.
- Annual board retreats and governance training (1-2 times per year).
- 15-20 hours per month including board meeting preparation, board meeting attendance, committee meetings and related follow-up work.
Please send a current CV and statement of interest to email@example.com and complete the Board Candidate Filing Packet 2017 or request a hard copy by contacting Tang Chetkul, Assistant to the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The filing deadline to run for election and/or be considered for appointment is Friday, April 7, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.; late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please seeking more information about the election/ appointment or the role of board members at SAS are encourage to send inquiries to email@example.com or to approach a current member of the Board.
Chair, SAS Board of Trustees
Election Committee Chair, SAS Board of Trustees