As part of a yearlong strategic planning process, the SAS community, through its Core Planning Team, developed a bold new set of core values and mission statement. These were approved by the Board of Directors on March 29, 2011. The remaining elements of the strategic plan were approved in December 2011.
We believe that:
- Embracing diversity enriches individuals and communities
- Acts of compassion and generosity of spirit create a better world
- When individuals take responsibility for their own decisions, they are empowered to make positive impact
- Each individual has intrinsic value and the potential to contribute to society
- Collaboration is key to overcoming complex challenges and achieving common goals
- Integrity is the foundation of enduring relationships, quality institutions and well-functioning communities
- As global citizens we have a duty to care for the earth and its inhabitants to ensure the well-being of humankind
- Creativity, critical thinking and a lifelong passion for learning are essential to personal fulfillment and to meet the challenges of the future.
Shanghai American School inspires in all students:
- A lifelong passion for learning
- A commitment to act with integrity and compassion
- The courage to live their dreams.